On November 28th, we planted 100 garlic cloves (5 varieties) and about 60 onion bulbs into our bed number 2. Angela came down for the occasion and gave us a hand (thanks!). On the 29th we cut a bunch of nettles and put them in a bin, filled it with water, and covered it. In a few weeks time, we'll have potent nettle tea to feed our plants with.
We've decided to try the square foot method, which will allow us to plant densely, keep out the weeds, and surround the bulbs with their companions. Every other square is an allium and in between will be plants such as beetroot, carrots, lettuce, purple sprouting broccoli, and chamomile.
More pictures of the beds..
12 bags of rotted manure from the homestead...
Kelsey came by to give us a hand digging
Wednesday, 4 November 2009
In the beginning: strimmed land and one big dig
Laying out the paths and getting covered in muck
Posted by jenoneill at 12:04